Sep 21 2016

Importing a second-hand or used vehicle

#second hand vehicles

Importing a second-hand or used vehicle

About importing a second-hand or used vehicle

You can only import a second-hand vehicle into South Africa if you have been granted a permit to do so.

The importation of used vehicles is restricted to protect the local motor vehicle manufacturing industry. Permits are only issued under specifically defined circumstances.

Mainly returning South African nationals and immigrants who have permanent residence are permitted to bring vehicles registered in their names into the country.

Other cars that may be imported include racing cars, vintage passenger vehicles, specially designed vehicles and inherited vehicles.

Before you  import a used vehicle, goods vehicle or trailer  you must first obtain a letter of authority from the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) .

More information is available in the import guidelines on vehicles and components compiled by International Trade Administration Commission (Itac).

  1. Complete the Application for importation of a second hand or used vehicle form (IE462)
  2. If you are a South African citizen, submit the following documents:
    • identity  document or passport
    • letter from employer confirming permanent employment abroad and reflecting period of employment (salary advices, payslips, job offers, job contracts, tax returns, work permits, etc. are not considered proof of employment)
    • a certified copy of the official foreign vehicle registration certificate
  3. If you are a bona fide immigrant, submit the following documents:
    • a copy of your South African permanent residence certificate
    • a copy of your foreign passport (page with photo and details)
    • a copy of your foreign motor vehicle registration certificate
    • proof of study or research to be concluded where applicable.

How long does it take

Written by CREDIT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *